We are looking for a Senior Scala/Android Software Developer with an interest in encrypted communication and privacy to work on our open source app. The ideal candidate will be an experienced, reliable and proactive individual who has the desire to grow together with the Android team and to improve the process and quality of the app. In Wire’s Android app has components both in Java and Scala, with an increasing focus on Scala. The desired candidate will have knowledge of both Android and Scala development. Wire’s source code is hosted on GitHub and the development happens through public pull requests.
Wire is a European start-up building a modern, secure and open source privacy-focused communications experience. We are a Swiss company with a development center in Berlin, Germany and a sales office in San Francisco, USA. Our people come from a wide range of backgrounds, united by shared passion for communication, design and technology. wire.com
When you join:
Work with experts, multicultural team from 20 nationalities, competitive salary, relocation support, career growth opportunities, beautiful office with a rooftop terrace in the heart of Berlin.
Functional programming languages, hardware of your choice, adjustable standing desks, high quality chairs, regular tech talks, developer meetups in the office, bike storage, table tennis, foosball, yoga, breakfasts and lunches.
- Share ownership of the code with the entire team through code reviews, pair programming and by debating approaches and solutions
- Contribute to the application development as a domain expert, leading by example
- Produce easy to read, self-documenting and testable open source code
- Be involved on cross-platform concerns, system-wide architectural decisions and product development
- Collaborate closely with product and design teams to create innovative user interfaces and features, optimized for Android
- Coach junior members of the team
- Identify and communicate concerns and obstacles
- 4+ years of experience developing Android and/or Scala applications preferably with some experience in both domains
- Familiarity with both object-oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Thoughtful about quality and keen eye for testing, both at the code level (writing unit and integration tests) and at the process level (collaborating with QA specialists)
- Ability to stay up-to-date with the Android ecosystem, to proactively propose improvements and alternatives
- Strong problem solving abilities, and capable of collaborating with both engineers and business stakeholders
- Great communication skills, genuine team orientation and ability to share and receive feedback
BS in Computer Science or equivalent, MS preferred