Senior Haskell Developer (m/f/d)
Wire is transforming the way businesses communicate at the same speed that our founders disrupted telephony with Skype. Recognized by IDC, Forrester, and Gartner as one of the most secure collaboration platforms on the market, Wire offers messaging, audio/video conferencing, file-sharing, and external collaboration – all protected by the strongest end-to-end encryption. Wire is consistently delivering groundbreaking innovation from its unique “message fortress” architecture, 100% open-source software, and pioneering federation with Messaging Layer Security. Headquartered in Berlin with offices in Switzerland and San Francisco, our people come from a wide range of backgrounds, united by a shared passion for communication, design, and technology to build the leading secure collaboration platform in the world.
YOUR CHALLENGE AT WIRE
As a member of the Backend Chapter, you will be responsible for the existing Haskell code base of the Wire backend (most of the code is here: https://github.com/wireapp/wire-server). For starters, you will join the ongoing effort of implementing and migrating to Messaging Layer Security on Wire backends. Your work will help enable efficient communication in large chat groups. As you become more familiar with the code, you may end up working on other exciting projects such as our backend federation, or integration with calendars and other services.
The Wire Backend Chapter provides several microservices (the backend) that perform a variety of tasks, including handling registrations and logins, pushing messages to clients via WebSockets, sending out emails, uploading pictures in S3, and protecting our users’ privacy by proxying requests to Spotify/YouTube/Giphy.
Code-wise, we are in the process of switching to servant for our routing, but in many places we are still using wai-route (a much less popular predecessor of servant which has some surprising similarities once you start looking deeper); persistence happens mostly in cassandra (cql-io); and there are lots of other bits and pieces from the Haskell ecosystem we depend on, and occasionally contribute to. Go take a look!
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- You are passionate and proficient in reading Haskell codes
- You have a BS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- You’re enthusiastic about software security and designing, building, and running distributed and scalable systems
- You enjoy documenting yourself away
- If you immediately have strong opinions (lightly held) about what you would do differently: great, we have those, too! :-)
- Join a market-proven (>1,000 customers) and fast-growing company and be an active driver for Wire to become the worldwide market leader
- Who if not us? We offer the technology for collaboration from anywhere, so why not enjoy the flexibility to work in a hybrid model? We have a beautiful office in the heart of Berlin and offer our team a mix of working from anywhere vs. spending selected days together in our office to connect on a personal level (always under the umbrella of current pandemic restrictions)
- We're not only developing the future of secured collaboration platforms, we're also investing into our own development: Every new team member gets a yearly education budget granted and can benefit from a holistic cafeteria system to strengthen personal capabilities. Books, conferences, certifications? We got you.
- Have a friend looking for an awesome team to join? We reward every successful referral with a generous and above-market referral bonus. Learn more about our program when you've joined the team
- Join company events and team parties and enjoy daily fruits, cereals, beverages, free soft drinks, and the world's best Barista coffee machine in our office (if possible due to restrictions)
We value your interest in strongly typed functional languages and your passion for clean code and elegant solutions (continuously improving current ones).
Wire is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race, or being a member of the traveler community.
Have we caught your interest? If you're looking for an environment where our company DNA is defined by collaboration and ambition, please submit your application at the link and hear back from us soon!